TAXONOMY

In-app content taxonomy: categories, topics and tags

IMG_3549.PNG
IMG_3550.PNG

Client

Tictrac, a global health and wellbeing platform for employers and insurers.

2

Problem

Within the app, the content was all kept in a section called ‘Discover’. Over the years, a lot of content had been created, but the organisation and categorisation of this section had not been updated. This led to a confusing user experience, with multiple categories and topics that often contained duplicate content. The brief was to improve the user experience of this content section, while also reflecting the new wellbeing pillars of the organisation. 


My role: I was the content lead on this project and worked through the project from beginning ideation, through the re-categorisation of content, to the launch of the new design.

3

Solution

I ran ideation sessions with key stakeholders across the business using Figma boards to work on a virtual card sort exercise. We reflected on existing user feedback and client frustrations with this section of the app, and I gathered as much direct user feedback as I could. 

 

After reviewing all the data, I decided to radically streamline the number of categories. The names of these categories now reflected the key business wellbeing pillars, and also the main content interests of our users. The categories became: 

 

  • Life

  • Fitness

  • Food

  • Mind

  • Sleep

 

Limited topics then sat underneath these categories. The copy was kept deliberately short and explanatory to help users navigate to content quickly. The concise copy also helped with the localisation of this content, as simple language is easier for linguists to accurately translate.

 

Regategorising the content was a lengthy process that I undertook as part of a larger content migration project as we moved from one CMS to another. It required a large piece of work to create new content tags, and retag all existing content. 

 

I worked very closely with the developers on this project as there were a number of technical constraints surrounding the ordering of categories and topics in that section. 

4

Outcome

Once the new design was launched, we saw an increase in users finding content via the Discover section of the app. Clients were very pleased with the improvements as it meant they could more easily find the content they needed to highlight to their users, therefore helping employees look after their wellbeing.

5

Reflection

The technical constraints made for some awkward copy - such as the need to have a category called “2022: What’s new” as the backend listed numerical values first, and then values alphabetically after that. Ideally, we would have developed the front-end and back-end logic in parallel for this project, but this was not possible at the time, so the new taxonomy had to account for the technical constraints.